I absolutely love this Cinnamon Jam Squares Recipe. The only ingredients that are not pantry stables are the apricot jam and desiccated coconut. However, in my house we always have apricot jam. Apricot Jam is one of the most affordable flavours of jam in South Africa. I also normally have desiccated coconut because I often bake with it.
Tip: Desiccated coconut’s shelf life can be prolonged by keeping it in the freezer.
Before I continue, here is your free printable .PDF version of the Cinnamon Jam Squares Recipe – Download and Print. If you want to collect all the recipes and make a replica of my recipe book, make sure that you subscribe to this blog. Every time I release a new recipe or blog post you will be notified via email. I promise that I won’t share your email with anybody else.
The two vintage kitchenware items I used in making this recipe are my grandmother’s Kenwood Chef and my mother’s Keith Bentley Kitchen Scale.
If you are looking for a strong, good quality mixer that can handle bread-dough I highly recommend getting a Kenwood Chef. The Kenwood Chef Titanium Kitchen Machine 750 W 5 Quarts is the modern equivalent of the one I own. It makes creaming butter and making bread dough so much easier!
Other equipment I used to make this recipe (with links for equivalent products):
- Kitchen Scale – I strongly recommend using the weights of dried food instead of cup measurements. Cup measurements are just estimates, whereas the weight of most dried goods stays the same. You can get the Taylor Stainless Steel Analog Kitchen Scale for a vintage looking modern equivalent.
- Cup and spoon measures – The Ten Piece Measuring Cup And Spoon Set By Cookhouse from Amazon is most similar to the set I use.
- 22cm x 33cm / 9″x13″ Baking Tin – If you don’t have one in the house Calphalon Signature Nonstick Bakeware 9-in. x 13-in Rectangular Cake Pan is a must have for any kitchen.
Ingredients for the Cinnamon Jam Squares Recipe
- 1 cup Margarine or butter (250g / 0.55lbs)
- 4/5 cup sugar (180g / 0.40lbs)
- 1 egg
- 1tsp vanilla essence (5ml)
- 2 1/2 cups flour (350g / 0.75lbs)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (5ml)
- pinch of salt
- 1tsp ground cinnamon (5ml)
- 1/2 cup smooth apricot jam
- 1 cup desiccated coconut (75g / 2.5oz)
- Extra cinnamon for dusting
Method for the Cinnamon Jam Squares Recipe
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F / Gas Mark 4)
- Grease a 22cm x 33cm baking tin (9″x13″)
- Cream margarine/butter and suger.
- Beat egg with vanilla and add to margarine/butter mixture.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to egg and margarine mixture
- Mix into a soft dough.
- with clean floured hands press 2/3 of dough into base of the greased tin.
- Spread evenly with apricot jam.
- Add coconut to remaining dough and mix in thoroughly.
- Use a cheese grater to grate the dough coursely over the top of the jam.
- Dust with a little cinnamon and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
- Cut into small bars or squares and allow to cool in tin.
- Remove to cooling rack and leave until cold.
This recipe makes 1 tray. It is the perfect size for a small tea-party. If you are planning to use this recipe for your family’s weekly tea-time snack, then I strongly recommend doubling the recipe.
Store these Cinnamon Jam Squares in an air-tight container.
Disclaimer: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn a small fee by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I will never promote a product that I do not use and love or is not the equivalent of a product I use and love.