This Macaroni Cheese Recipe is my go-to meal when I have no idea what to make my family for supper or lunch. It is one of our family favorites. Mark has got so good at making this Macaroni Cheese Recipe, he can make it in 35 minutes. All the ingredients are pantry stables so I normally have everything I need to make it at the last minute.
Meal variation for toddlers: Give your toddlers some cooked macaroni, grated cheese and baby tomatoes on a plate and let them feed themselves.
Get the .PDF version: Easy Macaroni Cheese Recipe (Printable)
- Cheese Grater
- Sharp Knife
- Medium sized ovenproof dish
- Medium Pot
- Saucepan or small pot
- Oven with Hotplate
- Cup Measures
- Spoon Measures
Disclaimer: All the links above are affiliate links. This means I get a small amount of money if you buy the item using the link above.
Ingredients for this Macaroni Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups Macaroni (200g / 500ml)
- half teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp Margarine/Butter (50g / 50ml)
- 2 Tbsp (heaped) flour (50ml)
- 2 cups Milk (500ml)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (200g / 500ml)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced (optional)
How to make Macaroni Cheese
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF / Gas Mark 4)
- Grease an ovenproof dish
- Cook macaroni in fast boiling salt water until tender and drain in a colander (approx. 15-20 minutes)
- Place margarine/butter, flour, milk, salt and pepper into a saucepan or pot, over a medium heat, stirring continuously until smooth and thick. Pro Tip: Use a whisk at first to make sure flour doesn’t lump, then switch to a wooden spoon after the flour is mixed in thoroughly.
- Remove sauce from heat and add half the grated cheese
- Mix macaroni and cheese sauce together
- Pour into a greased ovenproof dish.
- Place sliced tomato on top (optional).
Family Tip: Tomato gets really hot in oven, if you have young children serve fresh tomato as a side dish instead of cooking in the oven with the macaroni.
- Sprinkle remaining grated cheese over top of macaroni mixture.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes. (10 minutes if you halve the recipe)
- Brown under the top element for 5 minutes.
Toddler Meal Variation
You can give your toddler cooked macaroni (without the sauce), grated cheese and baby tomatoes on a plate for them to feed themselves. This is a hit with my youngest. My older child feeds himself the normal meal.
Tips to make it extra yummy
To make a more gourmet variation, fry some diced bacon and add to the macaroni cheese. Serve with Worcestershire Sauce mixed with tomato sauce, salt and pepper.
This recipe can easily be halved or doubled. Half this recipe is enough food for 2 adults. I used to make a half recipe before I had children. The recipe quantities above make enough for 4 medium servings.
With enough practice you can make this meal in 35 minutes.