Even if you don’t have a laundry room in your house, we all have laundry tasks that need to be completed daily, weekly and monthly. While some of the tasks below are specific to a laundry room, there are others that are still relevant if you only have a washing machine in a corner or your home somewhere.
Before we begin, the list below is making use of the Index Card Cleaning System that we created in Week 1 of the Homemaker Zero to Hero series. You are welcome to take a look at my YouTube demo on the index card cleaning system if you are unfamiliar with it and want a quick overview of how it works.
Laundry Room Housekeeping Chores
Daily Laundry Tasks
- Wash and Dry Laundry – If you are single or don’t have children at home you might do this every other day, or weekly. If you have a large family you may do multiple loads of washing a day. Adjust this frequency according to your family. – Daily, Yellow
- Iron, Fold and put away – I always do this while I am watching Netflix, it is the only time I watch whatever I want to watch. – Daily, Yellow
Weekly Laundry Tasks
- Clean Laundry Room Floor – If you have a laundry room, make sure you clean the floor once a week. Vacuum, sweep or mop – Weekly, Blue
- Mend/Replace worn-out clothes – I don’t mend clothes as often as I would like, but I am trying to get into the habit of doing it once a week while watching Netflix. If something is seriously worn-out, then make a note to replace it. – Weekly, Blue
- Hand Wash – Most washing machines have a hand wash setting that works really well. I generally only have 1 hand wash load per week. If you have to hand wash more frequently then adjust this to suit your family. If you don’t want to use the hand wash setting on the washing machine, then try to do all your hand washing once a week. – Weekly, Blue
- Empty trash can – If you have a trash can in your laundry room, empty it out once a week – Weekly, Blue
Monthly Laundry Tasks
- Clean washing machine – Vinegar works really well for cleaning out a washing machine. I put an old towel into the load and run the machine with vinegar were the fabric softener goes. Also check for mold and clean with a vinegar soaked cloth. Wipe down the top, sides and front with a damp cloth. – Monthly, Purple
- Throw out empty bottles/containers – check all the bottles you store in relation to cleaning house and doing laundry, all cleaning products. Throw out the ones that are empty, add the ones that are nearly empty to the shopping list for your next shopping trip. – Monthly, Purple
- Dust Cobwebs – Monthly, Purple
- Move appliances and check behind them. – You can clean while they are moved, but the main point is to make sure there are no socks or undies hiding away behind the appliances – Monthly, Purple
Seasonal Laundry Tasks
- Clean Laundry Room Shelves/Cupboard – if you have a dedicated laundry room with shelves or a cupboard, then give it a thorough clean once every 3 months. – Seasonal, Green
If you found this content useful, consider subscribing so that you will get an email notification whenever a new week is added to this series.