This week we are going to create all the index cards for cleaning the living room. Since every home is different, there may be a few things I leave off this list that are relevant to your living room. If there are, drop me a comment below and I’ll do my best to add them to the list.
If you have missed the previous weeks, please take a look at the complete list of Homemaker Zero to Hero posts.
Before we begin, here is how to color code your cards:
Please remember that the personal cards are things that you need to be reminded to do, but if another person were to come into your home to clean you wouldn’t give them the personal cards. These are things like “Shower” or “Manicure”.
Now here is the long list of cards to create this week, all for cleaning the living room. The frequency of cards is just a recommendation. Adjust according to your household.
Cleaning the Living Room
Daily Living Room Cleaning tasks
- Remove items that don’t belong – This is anything that isn’t supposed to be in the living room. Put these items back in their homes. Sometimes you may need to do this twice daily – Daily Card, Yellow
Weekly Living Room Cleaning tasks
- Recycle old newspapers and magazines – I never understood why this had to be done weekly until I started getting junk mail newspapers in our post box. Depending on how much you accumulate, you might be able to make this a monthly card – Weekly Card, Blue
- Dust Furniture – remember to do this before you vacuum! Bookcases, coffee tables etc. – Weekly Card, Blue
- Vacuum carpet – I have found that vacuuming tiled floors is easier than sweeping, so I vacuum tiled floors too – Weekly Card, Blue
- Sweep and Mop – Weekly Card, Blue
Monthly Living Room Cleaning Tasks
- Repair or Toss and replace anything broken – Monthly Card, Purple
- Straighten Bookcases – Monthly Card, Purple
- Clean out/straighten the drawers/cabinets – Monthly Card, Purple
- Clean under sofa cushions – it is amazing what you find – Monthly Card, Purple
- Oil/Polish furniture – Monthly Card, Purple
- Clean Fireplace – When in use, clean monthly – Monthly Card, Purple
- Clean Windows – Monthly Card, Purple
- Dust picture frames – Monthly Card, Purple
- Clean Mirrors – Monthly Card, Purple
- Wash ornaments – Monthly Card, Purple
- Dust lamp shades – Monthly Card, Purple
- Clean Cobwebs – Monthly Card, Purple
- Clean Television Set – Monthly Card, Purple
- Clean light diffusing bulbs – Every other Month Card, Purple
- Move furniture and vacuum under – Every other Month Card, Purple
Seasonal and Yearly Living Room Cleaning Tasks
- Shampoo Carpet – Seasonal Card, Green
- Wash/dry-clean curtains and drapes – Seasonal Card, Green
- Clean Walls – Seasonal Card, Green
- Clean furnace vents – Seasonal Card, Green
- Repaint walls if needed – Yearly Card, Orange
If you found this content useful, consider subscribing so that you will get an email notification whenever a new week is added to this series.